Nathan Cannon Robinson

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Harold Christian Robinson

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Friday, May 8, 2009

Science Experiment? No, just cooking dinner!

Yesterday I was so motivated. I cleaned the house, I folded laundry, I even wrote some baby gift thank you notes.

I made a delicious dessert that I've never made before (so GOOD!!) for dinner and set about making dinner - chicken tacos. I had the chicken cooked, seasoned, cut up and keeping warm on the stove. Christian helped me make the salad and I started making some Spanish rice to go along with it. It has to be cooked it in a skillet pan on the stove, and once the water is added, bring to a boil and then cover it for about 15 minutes. I couldn't find a lid big enough to cover the skillet, so I went to the platter/lid cupboard, (yes, my Mom actually has a cupboard devoted to just those. That's another post by itself!) and found a nice size glass platter with gold trim.


If you've ever attended some get-together at my parent's house, we've probably used this platter for something. Anyway, I grabbed it, not thinking much of it. I have a thick glass platter (in storage now) that I used all the time for lids while cooking. I set it over the skillet, turned the heat down and went back to chopping tomatoes.

Not 30 seconds later, a horrific noise resonated in my right ear. The sound of the glass platter exploding!!

The noise was so loud, I still had a headache hours later. Everyone came running in to see what had happened. (Except my mom, she was at Special Needs Mutual - she's the secretary in the Presidency) Nathan started crying and tried to run into the kitchen for comfort. Of course, we all yelled at him not to come in because of the broken glass and then he cried more. So I went to Nathan to comfort him. I peeked at Harry and he was just chillin' in the swing. Christian vacuumed the whole mess and after inspecting just how far the glass had exploded, we decided it wouldn't be safe to eat the rice or the chicken. Into the garbage it went.

I felt very defeated at that moment. I was bummed about no dinner and felt really bad that I broke my Mom's platter. Then I got a great idea. I would just run to Peterson's


(the local grocery store) and get a rotisserie chicken!

Marvelous idea! I grabbed my purse, hopped in the truck and drove down. The moment I walked in, everything went into slow motion. My mind's eye pictured my debit card perched upon the desk in my bedroom and then to the few dollars I had shoved in my wallet. I still made my way to the chickens, just see how much they were. 7.99!! Ouch. I double-checked my purse. 8.00. Hmmm Stupid taxes. Even more defeated, I went back to my truck and drove home. Walked in the house, got my debit card, drove back to Peterson's, got the chicken, and some doughnuts (I needed those now) and then drove back home.

To sum it up:
Dinner was good, my Mom wasn't upset, and I went to bed early.

6 comments:

Karen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karen said...

I learned that lesson the hard way too. I tried dumping hot oil from a fryer into a mason jar once. Of course the glass shattered, spilling oil everywhere. Not cool.

p.s. I still remember the yellow Mickey Mouse t-shirt you gave me that said "Karen" on it. I was like 8 years old at the time and thought you were so cool :D

Doney Days said...

I will miss that platter. A many showers and family get together's it did attend. R.I.P little Platter, R.I.P.

Deb-t said...

Too funny, Karen, but sad. Sorry about all that effort into cooking dinner and then going to the store only to find your PENNIES short! Blasted taxes is right. Hope everyone really appreciated that rotisserie chicken!

pmkennedy said...

That's so sad, but I'm laughing as I read it because I've been there too. I think all of us have - Its also fortunate that your mom wasn't upset, she's probably been there too, LOL!

Bennifer said...

You are so lucky mom wasn't home. I'm sad that platter is gone too. But at least no one got hurt.