Nathan Cannon Robinson

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Harold Christian Robinson

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Monday, August 17, 2009

Many Adventures of Vanny the Pooh



I try to be optimistic. No, really I do. Sometimes life has ways of chucking that optimism to the ground, spitting on it and then rolling it around in dog poo. You may recall the many adventures of our van from last year...
The tire

And who could forget....

The tire IN the road and more

And last but not least...

The growing rock chip.

What's kind of funny is that I just had the windshield replaced 2 months ago. Apparently we don't have glass coverage with our insurance so we had to pay for out of our pocket. $200.00 Love it.

In December, we had about 3 warning lights on our dash -

Check engine
ABS
Passenger Airbag

Luckily (?) we had a warranty and got away with paying only $400.00 to get everything fixed. What a delight!

Then in March, I noticed the brakes starting to act funny. (Funny weird, not funny hahaha) Since I was done working and had access to my Mom's car, we didn't get them fixed until June. Another $300. Then the bearing went out on one the brakes. Another $300. Then the ABS light kept coming on again. I think the guys at the tire/brake place was so sick of us, they fixed the sensor on it for free.

Then today, my Mom and decided to take a little trip to North Salt Lake to get Nathan and Harry's birth certificates. Just a little errand I've been putting off for almost 3 years. So we decided we just HAD to go today. The trip was pretty uneventful (except for the speeding UHP Officer barreling down on me in the carpool lane. I promise I wasn't speeding!! Once I moved out of the way, he continued on - phew!)
I got off the freeway at the construction filled Redwood Road and proceeded to North Temple. I turned right and I started to hear this whooshing sound. I kept thinking, "Where are the sprinklers?" Oh silly me. That's the sound of the precious air vacating your back passenger tire! I turned down the road towards the Utah Department of Health and I commented to my Mom
"This road is terrible. It's so noisy!!" Finally I noticed that along with noise, the van was driving a little off. "Is that me? Is that my tire?" I could feel the rage starting to simmer within. I pulled into the parking lot and amid the stares of those walking by, knew that I had a flat tire. Flat. Flat. Flat.

After pulling into a parking spot, I jumped out and sure enough - Flat. I called Christian and he said he was on his way. Having no time for these inconveniences, I got the birth certificates while I waited for Christian to arrive.

$68.00 dollars later, (68.00?? You say? Why, of course! 3 certificates each! One for my scrapbook, one for their scrapbook and one that can get ruined - Odd?? Ask my Mom - It's her idea. Doesn't everyone have Momisms? Things she tells you to do and you do them without question? Anyone??)

I emerged, Christian arrived and switched out the tire. Thank you, love!! There's NO way I could have accomplished it. It took Christian lots of arm power to get those lugnuts off.

Did this dampen our spirit, kill the day or change our plans?? NO! On we went - to Costco, the mall, Walmart and then home to finally have the tire fixed. Many thanks to my Dad who took care of the mess there.

So, is my van cursed? Perhaps. My Mom and I were laughing because I paid my tithing yesterday. Hmmm I wonder what would have happened if I hadn't????

2 comments:

Doney Days said...

I hate cars but especially our vans the past year! Talk about bad luck for both of us! Dan and I were just talking about how the next van we buy, we're buying new with a large down payment. But that won't happen unless our credit cards get paid off so we can put more towards our cars to pay them off faster and that won't happen so I guys we're stuck with "Minnie" (what my kids named it, because it's a Mini van and it's red like the color Minnie wears!). Oh "hi run-on sentence" (hello Heather!). PMP!

Deb-t said...

That's the spirit of tithing! Imagine what would've happened if you didn't pay it.....see how optimistic you are? I wouldn't have thought of that one!

Seriously, the van is cursed beyond anything I've ever seen. Where the devil is Utah's lottery? Let's go to Idaho and try winning something!